Sunday, November 1, 2009

Styles of animation

The Lord of the Rings (1978) Ralph Bakshi
I find the animation in this film very appealing because it is drawn in a more detailed illustrative style. I'm planning to try rotoscoping in my project so I think this film is quite a good refernce for it, as it uses rotoscopeing for a lot of its scenes.As well as rotoscoping the film is highly posterized which creates the 3d look. I also like the abstract backgrounds in some of the scenes. Instead of using realistic scenery, differenting textures are put in. This might be something I could do in my animation with markmaking.


Christmas Carol (1971) Richard Williams
This is my favourite animation by Williams, it is a very realistic and dramatic version of the Christmas Carol. The design is based on old 19th century illustrations which futher enrichs the setting of the film.
This is one of my favourite scenes in it, the movement of Scruge is shown only in the face and the flame as he walk up the stairs.
Water Ship Down (1978) Martin Rosen

In this animation, the style changes through out the film depending on the mood of each scene. For example, the start is an old tale so its shown in a simple picture book style.

Plague Dogs (1982)

Another film by Rosen, its uses the same type of animation as in watership Down, and uses Watercolour backgrounds. Although the audio from the film is sometime difficult to hear.


This sequence in the film is very impressive. The animators have created a very difficult sequence of the dog rotating as it howls with the background panning across the scene.

All images were taken from youtube and my own dvds.

No comments:

Post a Comment